Friday, June 24, 2011

Speech at Campaign Kickoff

June 22, 2011

Distinguished guests, friends and neighbors, I’m Chris Nye and I’m running for University Place City Council.
Running for public office is a little new to me.  I was told I needed a “kick-off” party to jump start my campaign.  Not knowing what a "kick-off" entailed, I consulted the great political philosopher GOOGLE!
Google says I’m to come up here tonight and tell a little about myself and you tell you why I am running for city council and ask you for your support.

Folks, our city has challenges and opportunities. An important lesson I learned, that I believe will prepare me for city government – As a Second Lieutenant, one day I reported into my commander’s office and said, "Sir, we have a problem."  Right then I saw my short military career flash before my eyes.  My commander stood up and said, "Lieutenant, we don’t have problems in my command, we have challenges!  And if you are going to bring me a challenge, you better come to me with a solution.”
 
The solution to our challenges and opportunities is LEADERSHIP! Our city - now more than ever - needs leaders, not more managers, not more consultants.
Leadership is what it will take to finish our town center.  And leadership is what it will take to get our community ready for the US Open.
And that’s why I am running for city council!
As a former commander in Special Forces, small business owner and entrepreneur, I don’t need Google to tell me about leadership. Leadership is not complicated – You lead, follow or get out the way!
In my experience, Leaders, we are not afraid to ask “Why?”
Leaders, we solve problems.
Leaders, we lead by example.
Leaders, we know when to listen and when to follow.
Leaders, we work well with others to accomplish the goals.
Leaders, we are not afraid to say, “I don’t know, but let me find out and I will get back to you.”
Leaders have vision!  We want to know what the future looks like.
This reminds me of an interview Wayne Gretzky had one day at a news conference.  The reporter asked him, “What makes a good hockey player?”  Gretzky answered, “A good hockey player goes to where the puck IS; a great hockey player goes to where the puck is GOING TO BE.”
I believe a great council member needs to ask where our puck will be in the next 10-20 years to anticipate the needs of our community.
That’s the conversation I want to have and that’s why I am running for city council! 
During this campaign I was told not to make any promises. Whatever you do; do not make any promises. Well, as some of you may know I don’t always follow conventional wisdom. Tonight I am going to make two promises.
Promise #1: My neighbor Mr. Hoffman reminded me of this the other day. He told me, when I get on city council; be yourself. If I am fortunate to win this election I will be myself. I will be that problem solver. I will be that critical thinker who will ask questions to solve today’s problems for a brighter future!  And that’s my promise to you. 
Promise #2: I will do everything I can to keep this campaign focused on the issues, and out of the stinkweed.
Leaders don’t spend time in the stinkweed.
The other day I was trying to explain to friend of mine, what I meant about stinkweed. I asked him if he ever saw the cartoon Fat Albert.  Bill Cosby was the voice of Fat Albert.  The way I remember it, there was an episode when the kids where all walking down the railroad tracks trying to walk on rails.  All the kids kept falling off the rails into the stinkweed except Fat Albert. He just keeps walking down the rail not missing a beat. Then one of the kids asked Fat Albert why he doesn’t fall in to the stinkweed like the rest of them?  Fat Albert replied something like, “I’m so big, I can’t see my feet when I look down so I just look straight ahead and I don’t fall into the stinkweed!”
Like Fat Albert, I want to keep looking down the tracks to see our town center is finished and as a community we are ready for the world stage in 2015.
That’s the conversation I want to have and that’s why I am running for city council.
Now, at this time Google says I am supposed to exit the stage and have a pinch hitter come up here and ask for support. Well, I wouldn’t be a good salesperson if I didn’t ask for the order. Tonight as you came through the door everybody was given an envelope because that’s how you got your drink ticket!
I’m asking for your support at the polls and I’m asking you to stand beside me with a financial contribution.  Every amount will make a difference, so just make out those checks to “Friends of Chris Nye.”  If you would like to help with a yard sign, or host a town hall meeting, that would be great too!
Finally, the best for last. The source for my motivation and inspiration, tonight I want to introduce Team Nye.
Teresa, my beautiful wife of 15 years, I would not be here tonight if not for her.
Our first squad leader, Mikey.  He’s our leader on the baseball and football field.
Our second squad leader, Patrick.  He’s our leader on the soccer field and our future engineer.
Friends, Neighbors – Team Nye is assembled, we are ready, we are excited, and we are reporting for duty!
Thank you.  Thank you for the support.